Poisoned Waters-Frontline Video
Video is here:
High quality version is here:
You may find it helpful to download this into your own computer: hold the option key while clicking on the link.
- Water Pollution-air pollution-climate change
- Watersheds, transit time
- water pollution:continuity, local until ocean,
Segment 1: Chesapeake bay: 00-45:00
Segment 2: Potomac River: 45:00-54:00
- Chesapeake watershed
- EPA CWA 1970
- Perdue/hog Ag farms, Eutrophication
Segment 3: Puget Sound: 54:00-1:33:00
- Endocrine disrupters-drinking water
Segment 4: FairFax County, VA: 1:33:00-1:54:00
- Bioaccumulation-PCB Killer Whales
- Boeing-PCBs from runways
- Runoff-water transit time King County
- Tyson’s corner-transit time, sediment runoff
- Loudon county-traffic planning
- Arlington-urban planning
- Why is it useful to get the historical view of the craggy old fishermen?
- How are the fish an indicator species?
- How large is the Chesapeake watershed?
- Why is this bay uniquely vulnerable?
- What causes dead zones in the film?
- What is the global trend in dead zones? where?
- What three basic functions of the bay will likely be lost to your generation?
- What was different 40 years ago?
- What was the cause and effect process of Earth Day and the EPA?
- Did Nixon back the clean water act? Explain.
- What were the key tenets of the CWA?
- What were the initial actions of the EPA?
- RFK jr. says he could not swim in the Hudson, Charles or Potomac. Where are these?
- Why did you have to take a shower if you fell into these rivers?
- What was the Potomac point source pollution source described in the film?
- What is BNR and how does it work?
- What is not removed from human wastewater with BNR that concerns us?
- How did Reagan’s policies impact the EPA and pollution regulation?
- What is “voluntary compliance” and did it work? explain.
- What is the biggest danger with concentrated animal farms/ CAFOs (poultry, pigs, cows)?
- Look up why we have different names for the same animals: cow/beef,chicken/poultry, pig/pork
- Why is it advantageous for Perdue to subcontract chicken operations?
- What is vertical integration?
- What was the national response to cheap chicken?
- If you were to put chicken manure on your garden, you could burn your plants. why?
- On the way downhill to the coast, there is an egg factory that went out of business, who now sells “manure compost”. Where did this come from, and how is it a good deal for them?
- Why does not Perdue own the chicken waste, if they own the chickens? How does the Perdue guy dodge the problem?
- What is the difference between city waste and ag waste?
- What does the chicken guy say about deer?
- What did the chicken lobby in Maryland (Eastern shore) do about pollution regulation? why?
- How is this similar to the Iowa corn ethanol lobby?
- RFK Jr. describes two things: externalized costs and subsidies. What does he mean by these?
- Why are not endocrine disrupters part of the clean water act?
- What is intersex in the male bass? what causes this?
- How does the concept of river continuity impact endocrine disrupters?
- Do they need to be very concentrated to be effective?
- A person flushes birth control pills (hormones) or other drugs down the drain. How can this impact someone living many miles downstream?
- Why are these hormones not filtered by water treatment plants?
- What is “synergism”? Why is it critical here?
- How cold is the water in Puget Sound? Why is this relevant?
- Why do the apex predators have the highest concentration of PCB?
- What is a sentinel species? why is this relevant?
- Which population of humans is now showing similar health effects?
- What is Superfund, who funds it?
- What is the biggest liability problem with the Boeing dioxin situation?
- What is the concept of “deep pockets”?
- Why would native Americans be the indicator species in the Duomish river?
- Is South Park (not the tv show) upper income or lower, immigrant or not? Why is this important?
- On the AP exam, you will be expected to know all about Love Canal. How is this similar?
- What do you think is coming out of the pipe underwater in the video?
- Why are “impervious surfaces” so bad for the Puget Sound?
- Why do folks get upset about oceanic oil spills and not the stuff you see in the video?
- What is the difference in "transit time" for rain water hitting concrete vs. soil?
- Ron Sims has enemies in King county. Who?
- How is the Growth Management Act/Critical Areas Ordinance (CAO) similar to the Urban Growth Boundaries (UGB) concept in Portland Oregon (we'll see this in the Portland e2 video)
- Look up the CAO now. How is it going?
- Look up Tyson’s corner. What did it look like in 1945?
- Would Tyson’s corner have been successful without cars?
- How is Tyson’s corner like Los Angeles?
- How is Arlington different from Tyson’s corner?
- In a sense, US cities are learning to become more like older European cities. Why are they different?
- What is the meaning of the phrase “canary in the coal mine” and where did this term come from?
- According to the narrator and Governor of Washington, what is a necessary part of the solution?
- What is your part in this future?
1. You have chosen the water treatment manager for a small town in Doofania that gets its water from a river, with Uglyopolis upstream and Ya-ya town downstream. What steps would you take to make sure you and the other towns are getting clean water, and describe impact of an upstream sewage plant in Uglyopolis and a nuclear power plant on the river in Ya-ya town.
2. From the Poisoned Waters Frontline video, choose one of the stories and explain why it is important to you, what it explained, and how it relates to your work.
/groups/apenvironmentalscience/search/index.rss?tag=hotlist/groups/apenvironmentalscience/search/?tag=hotWhat’s HotHotListHot!?tag=hot6/groups/apenvironmentalscience/sidebar/HotListadminadmin2020-08-19 15:43:59+00:002020-08-19 15:43:59updated30adminadmin2011-09-08 21:36:21+00:002011-09-08 21:36:21updated29adminadmin2011-08-24 23:20:40+00:002011-08-24 23:20:40updated28adminadmin2011-08-24 22:42:36+00:002011-08-24 22:42:36updated27adminadmin2011-08-22 02:41:09+00:002011-08-22 02:41:09updated26adminadmin2011-08-22 02:40:02+00:002011-08-22 02:40:02updated25adminadmin2011-08-21 20:39:11+00:002011-08-21 20:39:11updated24adminadmin2011-08-21 20:30:42+00:002011-08-21 20:30:42updated23adminadmin2011-08-21 20:30:13+00:002011-08-21 20:30:13updated22adminadmin2011-08-21 20:25:48+00:002011-08-21 20:25:48updated21adminadmin2011-08-21 20:25:18+00:002011-08-21 20:25:18updated20adminadmin2011-08-21 00:22:12+00:002011-08-21 00:22:12updated19adminadmin2011-08-21 00:18:56+00:002011-08-21 00:18:56updated18adminadmin2011-08-21 00:15:43+00:002011-08-21 00:15:43updated17adminadmin2011-08-21 00:12:37+00:002011-08-21 00:12:37updated16adminadmin2011-08-21 00:12:02+00:002011-08-21 00:12:02updated15adminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:41+00:002011-08-20 23:59:41updated14Added tag - hotadminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:38+00:002011-08-20 23:59:38addTag13Added tag - conservationadminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:32+00:002011-08-20 23:59:32addTag12Added tag - critical thinkingadminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:19+00:002011-08-20 23:59:19addTag11Added tag - ch1adminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:08+00:002011-08-20 23:59:08addTag10Added tag - sustainabilityadminadmin2011-08-20 23:59:05+00:002011-08-20 23:59:05addTag9adminadmin2011-08-20 20:47:39+00:002011-08-20 20:47:39updated8adminadmin2011-08-20 20:46:15+00:002011-08-20 20:46:15updated7adminadmin2011-08-20 20:43:07+00:002011-08-20 20:43:07updated6adminadmin2011-08-20 19:14:13+00:002011-08-20 19:14:13updated5adminadmin2011-08-20 19:11:26+00:002011-08-20 19:11:26updated4adminadmin2011-08-20 18:59:57+00:002011-08-20 18:59:57updated3adminadmin2011-08-20 18:56:59+00:002011-08-20 18:56:59updated2First createdadminadmin2010-11-07 01:41:28+00:002010-11-07 01:41:28created1wiki2020-08-19T15:43:59+00:00groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/welcomeFalseCh01 Overview/groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/welcome/Ch01_Overview.htmladmin30 updatesCh01 Overview
Welcome to our APES wiki. You should be able to do the following after logging in with your account:
To create a new page, click the ...Falseadmin2020-08-19T15:43:59+00:00adminadmin2013-02-05 02:24:03+00:002013-02-05 02:24:03updated4Added tag - hotadminadmin2013-02-05 02:24:02+00:002013-02-05 02:24:02addTag3adminadmin2013-02-05 02:05:35+00:002013-02-05 02:05:35updated2First createdadminadmin2013-02-05 02:03:35+00:002013-02-05 02:03:35created1wiki2013-02-05T02:24:03+00:00groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/394a8FalseEnergy notes/groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/394a8/Energy_notes.htmladmin4 updatesEnergy notes
Week of 2.4.13: energy wrap-up
e2 video: coal vs. nuclear in class
AP exams: FRQ
...Falseadmin2013-02-05T02:24:03+00:00adminadmin2013-02-05 02:23:20+00:002013-02-05 02:23:20updated6Added tag - hotadminadmin2013-02-05 02:23:18+00:002013-02-05 02:23:18addTag5adminadmin2013-02-05 02:23:12+00:002013-02-05 02:23:12updated4adminadmin2013-02-05 02:21:48+00:002013-02-05 02:21:48updated3adminadmin2013-02-05 02:20:26+00:002013-02-05 02:20:26updated2First createdadminadmin2013-02-05 02:06:00+00:002013-02-05 02:06:00created1wiki2013-02-05T02:23:20+00:00groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/c360bFalseFeb-May plan/groups/apenvironmentalscience/wiki/c360b/FebMay_plan.htmladmin6 updatesFeb-May plan
1. conclusion of energy chapters (see previous wiki)
2. GCC AP questions FRQ:
...Falseadmin2013-02-05T02:23:20+00:00adminadmin2012-03-07 05:53:55+00:002012-03-07 05:53:55updated14adminadmin2012-03-07 05:43:38+00:002012-03-07 05:43:38updated13adminadmin2012-03-07 05:41:35+00:002012-03-07 05:41:35updated12adminadmin2012-03-07 05:38:57+00:002012-03-07 05:38:57updated11Added tag - hotadminadmin2012-03-07 05:38:55+00:002012-03-07 05:38:55addTag10adminadmin2012-03-07 05:36:47+00:002012-03-07 05:36:47updated9adminadmin2012-03-07 05:22:26+00:002012-03-07 05:22:26updated8adminadmin2012-03-07 05:20:01+00:002012-03-07 05:20:01updated7adminadmin2012-03-07 05:18:58+00:002012-03-07 05:18:58updated6adminadmin2012-03-07 04:58:55+00:002012-03-07 04:58:55updated5adminadmin2012-03-07 04:57:33+00:002012-03-07 04:57:33updated4adminadmin2012-03-07 04:56:53+00:002012-03-07 04:56:53updated3adminadmin2012-03-07 04:54:20+00:002012-03-07 04:54:20updated2First createdadminadmin2012-03-07 04:53:33+00:002012-03-07 04:53:33created1weblog2012-03-07T05:53:55+00:00groups/apenvironmentalscience/weblog/de030FalseGreen Apple/groups/apenvironmentalscience/weblog/de030/Green_Apple.htmladmin14 updatesGreen Apple
Please watch this video about NYC:
On the server:
http://physics.hpa...Falseadmin2012-03-07T05:53:55+00:00adminadmin2011-09-13 19:08:24+00:002011-09-13 19:08:24updated4Added tag - hotadminadmin2011-09-13 19:08:22+00:002011-09-13 19:08:22addTag3adminadmin2011-09-13 19:08:10+00:002011-09-13 19:08:10updated2First createdadminadmin2011-09-13 19:04:30+00:002011-09-13 19:04:30created1weblog2011-09-13T19:08:24+00:00groups/apenvironmentalscience/weblog/4ecddFalseQuestions for Wednesday, wiki adds/groups/apenvironmentalscience/weblog/4ecdd/Questions_for_Wednesday_wiki_adds.htmladmin4 updatesQuestions for Wednesday, wiki adds
I'd like to try something for class tomorrow: each of you to create a question from chapter 3, and email it to me by this evening (Tuesday). Pl...Falseadmin2011-09-13T19:08:24+00:00hot/groups/apenvironmentalscience/search/index.rss?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcomelist/groups/apenvironmentalscience/search/?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcomeRecent ChangesRecentChangesListUpdates?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcome0/groups/apenvironmentalscience/sidebar/RecentChangesListmodifiedDateallRecent ChangesRecentChangesListUpdateswiki/welcomeNo recent changes.reverse5searchlist/groups/apenvironmentalscience/calendar/Upcoming EventsUpcomingEventsListEvents1Getting events…